Sunday, December 16, 2007

2007 Highlights

My third official bow season complete, and not a single tag cut...

As most bow hunters will tell you, that's not the point. That's because most bow hunters didn't fill their tags. Not to say that there isn't any truth to that. 2007 provided me with some close calls, some almosts, and the standard amazing experiences that only bow hunting in the Wasatch Mountains can bring. But alas, no meat.

2007 Summary

Shots taken at big game animals: One, about an 80 yard effort, wide right (wind!). Target: A respectable 3x4 still in the velvet. My older brother Greg put me into this bedded buck via radio. What seemed like a 2 hour stalk, I rewarded myself with a questionable shot. Good hold, bad wind, oh well.

Days afield: ? Not sure, would take to long to figure out. From August to Decmber I was in the hills at least once a week, save a couple weeks here and there. Honestly not one of my best efforts, but probably because I compare myself to Greg. What is wrong with that guy?

Hunting areas: Almost all of my bow hunting took place on the extended. Opening weekend was a fruitless trip up to Tabiona. BCC took up about 80% of my hunt.

Tags in hand: deer and elk archery tags, what else do you need? I did put in for the Wasatch LE elk tag (unsuccesful) as well as the once in a lifetime bull moose tag (unsuccesful). As long as I get the season I currently have, and can cotinue to hunt in my own back yard, I don't care if I ever draw a premium tag.

Weapon: The beloved Hoyt Ultra Tec. What a bow. It's not her fault that in 3 years of bowhunting there was only one animal tagged with it (last years monster wasatch extended cow). She was being dragged around by an idiot, an idiot with a bow. Not a lot of things have had as much sentimental value to me as the Ultra Tec. My late wife Meagan gave it to me for our first anniversary. Yesterday was my last hunt with my first hoyt. Recently I was able to upgrade to the new Katera. Shoots great.

Huntin' buddies: Varied this year. Opening morning was spent with one of my best friends and business partner Jason Earl. His first year. The kids schedule alloted him only a few hours of hunting. Lorin Lewis, my other work buddy and best friend tagged along for a late season Wasatch afternoon. I watched Mark my brother, nearly arrow a nice three point on opening day. Later in the season we shared a remarkable morning high up one of our favorite canyons. The biggest bucks I saw all year were that day. Tim Gillingham allowed me to grace his presence in the field a couple of times. Tim is one of the top archers in the nation. He makes his living shooting his bow if you need him. But, most of the time you could find me with or near Greg. He leads the league in guiding me into bucks with his radio. What a dream season he had! Cool enough that eventually he will get his own post.

I'm in a great hunting situation. You could easily mistake my house as a base camp. 2007 is in the books, and there is great anticipation for '08.

No comments: