Sunday, May 4, 2008

Adios........ (It's the '08 playoffs baby!)



Ah yes, it is here. Arguably my favorite time of year as a sporting fan. Our Utah Jazz, the best team in all of professional sports are once again in the NBA playoffs. This is a time of year when priorities change in a big way. So much in fact, that on mother's day (a holy day)you will see 20,000 crazy mormon fans pile into "the dump" (Energy Solutions Arena) and shatter the sabbath day while chanting "beat LA" and other vicious rants. Salt Lake turns upside down for this thing. Personally, I turn into a different person. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Thus far the Jazz have not let us down and neither has the experience. D Will and the gang just battled their way through a 6 game series with the hated Houston Rockets. Here are some of the highlights and maybe what some people who just don't quite understand us would consider low lights. Here we go.

Thanks to my good friend Brian Washington, Mark (my bro) and I have guaranteed tickets to every home playoff game this year. After the Jazz took care of the Rock"ettes" in Houston, we warmed up the ESA for them to come back to. We were thinking sweep but Houston in all their ugliness thought different. Didn't stop us from being any less ridiculous.

Earlier today I read on Mark's blog that him and I might come off as somewhat comparable to 12 year olds. Is this because we like to get to games 2 hours early? And wait for "arto grafs" after the game? Maybe, but before you make fun if us, just remember, we have more fun than you,and we are better people. And if I am so immature, how come i take such an interest in the world's issues, as well as support worthy causes?



Like many of the other protesters outside the game, I just think what is happening in Texas is deplorable. What exactly is going on in Texas? Are we protesting the Rockets? And why do the FLDS kids need our help canceling the game? Any ways.

Here is some evidence that we got to the game too early.



Game 3 didn't go as we planned, but the Jazz did what they needed to get us a game 6 at home. Including this little bucket by dKILL!



That's when things got interesting. Game 6 was as, Mark accurately stated, epic. The Robbins family had a strong showing. In attendance were of course Mark and I, Michael our nephew (his 1st playoff game) John John (his 1st game ever) and somewhere Justin was rooting for the home team.

Cute!


As you all well know, when we go to an elimination game, we bring out what is referred to as "the sign". Planets must have been aligned when Mark put pen to paper last year and created this sign prior to the Jazz eliminating the Warriors. It is brilliant! Since that game this has hung on my wall. Friday night it was brought out of retirement. Sorry Mom.



In the end the Jazz did us right, beating the Rockets by many many points. The world seemed like a wonderful place. Everything went crazy from there. Some of you have read about this on Mark's blog, but here is how I saw it.

Shortly after midnight we headed home in the Tacoma. I felt prompted to try a different route to the freeway via West Temple. No sooner than we turned down West Temple we saw two men heading south bound, a tall black and a Caucasian. Guess who the tall guy was. Shane Battier of the Houston Rockets. In a string of events that still confuses me, Battier ended up in the back seat of my truck, while his companion rode in the bed. Turns out the whitey was the president of the Rockets. I had their Kevin O'Connor rolling around on my rhino liner! I took a couple of hard turns. But, before you think I am cool, I should mention here that I totally wussed out. For the duration of this series I singled out Battier as my least favorite rocket and verbally berated him multiple times while watching the games. You would like to think that if you ever ran into someone you hated, you would tell them as much, and not give them a ride back to their 5 star hotel after a beer run. What else is horrible is he was the nicest person I ever met and is probably my favorite non Jazz player in the NBA now. Dammit!



Confused?



Battier and all of his little "loyal" fans. What a bunch of sellouts.


Go Jazz!

3 comments:

Suzy said...

So dang funny!! I wet my pants!

Mark Robbins said...

So much.

SittinDeadRed said...

Hey,

I linked here from the wildlife forum. That is the funniest dang thing I have heard in a long time. What are the odds?

That's got to be the most memorable Jazz experience you'll probably ever have. Thanks for sharing.

Shane